Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Challenges We Must Overcome

Many of you who know me personally know that I am mute. I cannot speak at all, only a grunt or two here and there. Often, when I'm out doing my weekly shopping, people yell at me to do this or that, not realizing that I hear just fine. For some reason, many people think that most mutes cannot hear either, hence the reason they are mute.

My inability to speak is just one more challenge I've had to overcome. It's not the first, won't be the last, and is certainly not the biggest one. I've had to get over being molested by my father. I've had to get beyond being mistreated by my mother. I have face many, many challenges, just like many of you.

We have to learn that challenges are not made to stop us. If we stop everytime we come up against something more difficult than we're used to coming against, then we'd never get anywhere. Challenges make us faster, wiser, better, smarter, stronger. Look at all those people in the special Olympics. I'm sure they had their challenges to even convince people that their lives are not over just because they have some disability or another.

I didn't grow up with a hero or role model. I don't trust easily and almost anything can turn me off from a person. I'm one of those kinds of people who want to hire someone to do a full investigation on a person before I become friends with them. I don't like being hurt. However, as old as I am, I just recently learned a lot from some of the special ladies in my life. They, too, have been through hell and come back. They, too, have suffered what much of the world is in denial about. And like myself, they are survivors! They refuse to stop. So, even when I'd want to stop, they won't let me.

Overcome your challenges. Don't let them overcome you!

No comments: